My First Day At School

Come tomorrow September 13th, most public schools in Ghana will re-open for a new academic year. The day is usually so colourful as children of school-going age register for the first time or continue their education. Continuing pupils always look out for new shoes, socks, bags, uniforms etc. This practice has come to stay cos, it is believed that a new class should receive or welcome only new clothings. Woe unto any parent who buy these items without the child's consent. Even children as young as three years can identify a boy or girl's shoe or bag.

Hitherto, a child of six years is asked by school authorities to cross-over his or her head with one hand to touch an ear, if the hand is able to touch the ear, that child is deemed fit to enrol into class one. 
Newly enrolled school children are provided with paper-made caps with inscriptions such as 'my first day at school' boldly embossed on them. This is to warmly welcome such children to formal education.

I quite remember the first day I wore school uniform, shoe, socks with my school bag strapped to my back to the St. Gabriel's Nursery, a Catholic private nursery school in Tamale. In fact, I was the happiest person on earth. It was there I first met Zuleika Lorwia wife of former minister, Stephen Asamoah Boateng and Ms. Mariam Sugru Bugri, former Miss Ghana '99.
Being in school for the first time always leaves a memory to be remembered in laughter or sorrow.

I wish to take this opportunity to wish all freshers a wonderful time in school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghana Revenue Authority hold Memorial Service for Late President Atta Mills (Former Commissioner)

Queen of Tatoos